Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hey you! Fuck you! Don't pepe here!

In my mind I have designed a series of stamps that is emblematic of Ivory Coast. These are the images I want to use: a dark-faced policeman with puffy cheeks and a green plastic whistle between his teeth, ready to harass traffic; a parked orange taxi with a pissing taxi driver next to it; a farmer’s wife with an axe balanced on her head; a young man with fake Gucci sunglasses who happily holds up a bottle of Flag beer; and a young woman in a tight T-shirt sitting at an informal phone booth, or cabine.

I thought of my imaginary stamps yesterday when I saw a young man pissing on the street. Pissing men are a revolting fixture of the Abidjan cityscape, but this one was different: he pissed as he walked, his penis exposed, legs slightly bent in what may have been an attempt to avoid his sloppy sprinkle.

5 comments:

The pale observer said...

That's pretty bad! I've seen a million guys (and a few girls) doing the gutter sprinkle in Ghana over the past 14 years - but NEVER seen anyone trying to multitask by walking at the same time!!!

Pozo+10™ said...

HOLA MUY LINDO TU BLOG.!
TE INVITO A CONOCER EL MIO: http://www.planeta-grandt.com.ar/.
SALUDOS!!!

Pauline said...

Maybe he was one of these mentally ill, I thought later. But he did wear shoes and clothes, so it's hard to say....

Rose said...

I saw a woman (Nigerian or Ghanaian, by the outfit) pissing in the street outside my office IN LONDON. She was wearing a long boubou-skirt and was pissing carefully between her feet. It was impressive and disgusting but being English I said nothing and walked on.

Hans Meier said...

Jeez, Pauline, terrible story. I can tell you that big cities in the Philippines have the same male behaviour. I was told it is like that or worse in South Corea too.